Every year at this time I watch for the Beloit College Mindset List to see the changes in the mindsets of college freshman. It is always entertaining and sobering to realize that we have all experienced different things based on the time when we grew up. Here are just a few of the realities of the students entering college this fall. Check out the whole list at Beloit Mindset List.
- They have always lived in cyberspace, addicted to a new generation of “electronic narcotics.”
- They can’t picture people actually carrying luggage through airports rather than rolling it.
- Having grown up with MP3s and iPods, they never listen to music on the car radio and really have no use for radio at all.
- Outdated icons with images of floppy discs for “save,” a telephone for “phone,” and a snail mail envelope for “mail” have oddly decorated their tablets and smart phone screens.
- There have always been blue M&Ms, but no tan ones.’
- Before they purchase an assigned textbook, they will investigate whether it is available for rent or purchase as an e-book.
- There has always been a Santa Clause.
- They watch television everywhere but on a television.